Thursday, April 26, 2007

New Black Beans

As a strict vegetarian for 12 years and a quasi-one for the last three or four, I have long sought a solid, flavorful recipe for black beans. I finally found one in last month’s Gourmet magazine. To my surprise, my time-honored technique of overnight soaking or preboiling the beans is not necessary!

Last night, I made Kemp’s Black Beans and was introduced to the seasoning triumvirate of sherry, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce. I incorporated the beans into an impromptu dinner with shredded cheese, diced avocado, roasted sweet potatoes, cooked kale, and diced tomatoes tossed with cilantro. This was served on a warm flour tortilla sprinkled with a store-bought Rosa Mexicano salsa (I personally think the flavor of a roasted salsa is important to this dish) and finely chopped pine nuts. The sweet, nutty, roasted, and fresh flavors of this dish had a remarkable, but not overwhelming depth.


The good news is that the bean recipe makes more than enough for leftovers (which we will be happily eating for lunch today) as well as for other recipes later in the week. Some of Kemp's suggestions include her own Black Beans and Rice Your Way and Black Bean Soup with Sherry and Lime. Enjoy!

No comments: