Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Priorities

After more than 80 days working in Montana on our ranch I returned to Boise, and the many summer projects that need to be finished before school starts on August 25th. The list was very long a week ago, but we are crossing things off at a pretty quick rate. We've replaced a dilapidated screen door with a new Andersen glass door, replaced multiple door handles and deadbolts, power-washed the house and deck, repainted exterior doors and trim, built a bench on the deck, painted the deck, and done more yard work and weeding in the garden than one ever thought possible.

The trim repairs proved to be a bit more complicated than I expected. After removing the rotten trim I discovered a surprise; the old fascia boards were custom cut to fit together like a puzzle. To replace them would require a table saw. Off to Home Depot after doing some research on Consumer Reports. Creating the new fascia was a piece of cake with the right tools! We reevaluated some of the project priorities and decided that we needed a bench on the deck, and with the new table saw I figured I could handle it.



It was a chore to complete in the heat but we are quite pleased with our new addition!

Just as a side note, thinking of the ranch. Here's a picture of my 1965 John Deere 4020 with the loader. Althought it is nice to be home, I kind of miss the massive amount of daily labor that we managed to do every day on the ranch. I spent most of yesterday (and most of my next several days will be spent) catching up on my studies.

4 comments:

me said...

love the bench! Did you really make that by yourself?
I have to ask, is that a huge satellite dish in your neighbors yard?

Kate said...

That bench was all Jon, from conception to design to implementation. And yes, that is a giant satellite dish. Funny, I don't even notice it anymore. He's really into ham radio and has all kinds of antennas around.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's quite impressive - the amount of things you took on (and completed) and the making of a bench. Well done!

Leah said...

Wow, the bench is awesome. And the summer has been good to you Kate. You look outstanding!! We may be in town 9-26/27 - I will keep you posted. Miss you guys!!!!!! By the way, signing up to take a class and learn Italian. The eternal student! :)