Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Chemistry Widow

This school semester has been particularly tough for both Jon and me. In addition to starting nursing classes, Jon had some prerequisites to finish up as well. Anatomy and Physiology 2 and an accelerated Chemistry class round out his course load at 17 credits. (A normal load is 12 credits.)

I started a Master's program in Technical Communication and am taking my first graduate class this semester, too. Being back in school has been a challenging adjustment for me. I haven't found the course work to be unmanageable, but those of you that know me well know that I like to do exactly what I want, on my schedule, my terms. I really dislike activities with compulsory attendance so until recently, Tuesday night from 6 - 9 pm just grated on my nerves.

The other thing I resent is the thought of homework that persistently lurks in my subconscious. I started having dreams about walking into class to find that not only had I not studied the material, I had forgotten to go to class for the entire semester.

With a little over a month to go, I am finally rounding the corner. I don't grimace when Tuesdays roll around and I feel like I am getting a handle on the course work.

I still hate Monday nights and Thursday nights, though. Jon chose a chemistry class taught in the Boise suburb of Nampa because former students said the teacher was excellent. We talked it over and decided that we could handle a semester-long break in our dinner routine but I think we both hate it. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, Jon leaves the house at 4 pm to get to class by 6 pm and avoid the stop and go traffic heading out to the suburbs. On these days I don't even see him until 9 pm and we both forage for dinner alone.

Our dinner routine is a favorite thing of mine. I relish the remaining nightly meals, but I long for the return of those few nights. Planning meals, cooking together, sharing the day's stories, cleaning up, and discussing the merits of the meal; these things anchor our marriage in a way. I think we will both be glad to have this semester under our belts.

No comments: