Friday, October 13, 2006

Super Duper Stressed Out Situation

My company offers health and lifestyle evaluation tools and I recently took a survey to find out my risks for various conditions. Here is the result:

"Based on the responses you gave, you have undergone a tremendous amount of life change in the past twelve months. Research has shown that people who experience this amount of change in a short time -- regardless of whether the change had a positive or negative outcome -- have a high likelihood of developing health problems associated with stress.

Now is a good time to pay close attention to habits that have a significant impact on your health. In addition to trying out some of the stress-reducing treatments listed in this program, make an effort to stay well hydrated and get at least seven hours of sleep each night. Be particularly vigilant about your health, because you are much more vulnerable to illness when you are under stress."

This result doesn't even take into account the impending cross-country move or the fact that today I was handed a new very large account (that was already only 50% staffed) after the unexpected departure of a long-time colleague. Unfortunately, circumstances did not allow for any knowledge transfer, so I will be self-learning three years worth of information. I started poking around this afternoon to try and get 'up to speed' and ended up with a stomachache and minor heart palpitations.

My company has alot of great 'benefits' like the one above, and
I don't want to seem unappreciative. Our healthcare options are great, there are onsite programs for dental care, mammograms, financial planning, gyms for exercising, multiple cafeterias, dry cleaning drop-off and pick-up, mommy rooms for women who need to pump breastmilk, heck they even have breast-feeding classes! This is all great, and thank you.

The issue I have is that these corporate programs exist only because folks are so overworked that they do not have time to leave the office to manage these mundane life tasks. I remember complaining to my mom about five years ago that I didn't want a boyfriend as much as I wanted a personal assistant. Yikes! The reality is that while it is great that I can work out at work--I don't want to have to!

I can suck it up for now, really, I can. I'm not that unhappy and today has just been a bit of a bad day. On days like this, I remember that it is this very job that has allowed us to live off of a single salary so that Jon gets the opportunity to go to school full time. I am truly grateful for that, because it is a luxury that was given to me by my folks and I want him to have that too. It is also this job that is allowing us to move out west.

So I will drink more water as suggested, but I already get seven hours of sleep each night. I will pay more attention to my body and try to eat right, maintain my priorities, and spend quality time with friends and family. I will survive, but if you happen to run into me, I could probably use a hug.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm hugging you right now. lol!
Hang in there. Les:)

Kate said...

Thanks sweets! I can't wait to see you all in the great Northwest!

Liz Dwyer said...

Gosh, you hit it right on the head!! Our jobs are giving us "perks" so we don't notice how stressed out we are. Hmm...my job provides me with a cell phone, a laptop and nationwide wireless so that I can work from anywhere and don't have to feel stressed about being in the office, but this also means I should be accessible at any time and anyplace. What a quandry we've gotten ourselves into!

Kate said...

Liz,

Get this--my company offered handheld Blackberry devices and lots of my colleagues jumped at the chance to have the latest gadget on the company dime.

I am no fool. With a hand held device that functions as a pager, cell phone, and mini-computer with web and email access, the company will be calling you on the phone to see why you didn't respond to that email yet because they KNOW you got it! No thanks.

Alot of folks also think I am so lucky to be able to work from home. Not so, when I am sitting at the desk at 6am or 10pm. I guess it could be worse, I could be sitting at the office.

In life, in everything, we must have balance.

Kate